Tuesday

Tool #6: Using Web Tools to Promote Discussion in and out of the Classroom

...Encouraging participation by all


Not only can Web 2.0 tools be used to create online products, but they can also be used to develop online conversations. Teachers around the world are engaging students in meaningful, collaborative conversations through a variety of resources. Many educators are saying that these conversations engage many students who might not participate in a typical classroom-based discussion, giving them a voice that they might otherwise have never found.

Blogs are an easy format to begin a conversation. Through classroom blogs, teachers can encourage student participation in a discussion in which they build knowledge and share perspectives on a topic. Teachers can create the posts and students can comment on the post and on other comments. Once comfortable with the format, permissions can also be shared so students can create posts and begin the conversation on their own. Social bookmarking tools such as Diigo allow teachers to create a page of annotated URLS and generate discussion through questions or comments on specific selections. Students can then post their findings or perspective on the selection as well. 

Google Docs provides for both synchronous (simultaneous) and asynchronous (not at the same time) conversations on a document/presentation through the chat and the comment tools. There are several educational networking sties that have appeared on the scene recently too! Edmodo, Diipo, and SocialGo to name a few. Social/Educational networks offer a lot of choice for collaboration - typically tools like blogs, forums, calendars and more are all integrated into one product. And, thanks to Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). services such as Skype make it easy to invite experts, parents, and other classrooms into your classroom for discussions and interviews. Consider having an inner-outer circle or Socratic seminar with another class to bring in new perspectives and ideas.

The above mentioned are just a few examples of the tools that continue to arrive on the Web 2.0 scene. Below is an annotated sampler of the tools. Spend some time looking through these examples. Your goal is to pick at least two and try them out!




VoiceThread
Using Voicethread, group conversations are created and shared with anyone around the world. These collaborative slideshows allow navigation and participants can leave comments in 5 different ways. Requires account creation. Can be set up so students comment using teacher/class account - through multiple identities.YouTube Tutorial

SBISD Tutorial
Easy


All levels
Google Docs
Users can collaborate via the real-time chat (once you close the document, the chat is gone) or they can leave comments (discussions) for one another. In SBISD, Google Docs is accessed through Google Apps. All staff and students have an account and the ability to use! YouTube Tutorial
Easy


All levels
Today’s Meet
Backchannel and encourage students to use the live stream to make comments, ask questions during class discussion/instruction to monitor understanding, encourage discussion and meet the needs of your students! No account required.YouTube Tutorial
Easy


1st - 12th
Cover It Live
Build and launch a live event and easily insert into any web page! Actively involve students through questions, polls and more! Another way to backchannel in the classroom. Events can be saved and embedded in a webpage for review! Could be used during video presentations or inner-outer circle/Socratic seminar!YouTube tutorial
More involved


3rd - 12th
Poll Everywhere
Poll Everywhere allows teachers to take advantage of the technology students bring to school! It works with texting (can use free text apps or web interface to avoid charges), web and Twitter and is simple to use. Does not require account creation.YouTube TutorialEasy


All levels
Edmodo
Edmodo is a secure social learning network for teachers, students and schools. Edmodo provides a real-time platform to exchange ideas, share content and access homework and more! Students are given classroom code so no student account creation required.


Spring Branch has its own Edmodo domain - http://sbisd.edmodo.com and is using Edmodo to share lessons and resources!
YouTube Tutorial
Easy


3rd - 12th

Voxopop
Voxopop is a message board/forum built on voice rather than text. create “talkgroups” for your classes and students can share their thoughts and ideas around a topic. Voxopop looks like a great resource for foreign language development as well. Account creation is required. Must be 13 years or older.A little involved


13 and up
Blogger (Access through Google Apps)

Use blogs to promote asynchronous discussion in the classroom. YouTube Tutorial
Easy


All levels
Wallwisher
Wallwisher is an online bulletin board for announcements, questions, ideas, etc. Share the link with your students and have a collaborative workspace. Then together you can organize! No registration required.YouTube Tutorial
Easy


1st - 12th
Diigo
Collect and organize anything and access your collection from anywhere - share your collection with teachers and students! Highlight, comment, and tag! Create a teacher account and then create and manage student accounts. The best tool for researching!YouTube TutorialEasy


1st - 12th
twitter
Twitter is a service of real-time short,140 characters or less, “bursts” of information connecting you to the latest on the topics/people you follow. “Tweet” out to your students/parents information, use as a discussion tool, a backchannel and more. Must be 13 years and older to create an account.YouTube Tutorial Easy


6th - 12th



Skype and Skype in the classroom
All netbooks coming to classrooms have a webcam. Use this free service to video conference with authors, guest speakers, classrooms inside and outside of SBISD!
Skype in the classsroom is a free online directory for teachers to make connections!
YouTube TutorialEasy


All levels

For your Tool #6 Post:

  1. Choose at least two of the tools from the above list. Create an account for each (if required) .
  2. Use each of the tools you choose to create a sample of how you would use it in your classroom.
  3. Embed the sample (preferred) or link to the URL.
  4. Share your thoughts on how you see the tools being integrated into your classroom. How do you see them encouraging participation?

As you continue to learn from the members of your PLN, have you found new ideas on their sites? ;-)


Onward to Tool #7: Going Global - Online Digital Projects

31 comments:

  1. This is my favorite tool so far... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Wallwisher. I can see it being used as a morning sponge activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voicethread.com and wallwisher are two things I think I could use. I need help embedding to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really have found several of the tools listed very useful like diigo, google docs and others. During this summer for curriculum writing my cowriter and I used google docs to develop our draft so that we could collaborate together and share the doc with our executive directors besides our bilingual director so that they could give us feedback as we went through the process. It was a very rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I know that embedding your choices was "preferred" but I like the Edmodo application. I'm using it right now to take a poll of how the first book club meeting went. Most students seemed to work well together, but I'm curious to see how they felt about it.

    I think I'm going to continue the book club talks online with Edmodo. General chats about theme and the like.

    Skype is the second choice. My students are contacting authors and we're begging them for a Skype interview. Combined with the ActivBoard (and using our faithful ELMO as a stand-in for a camera), I think we could have a really great conference with an author. Rick Riordan and Brian Falkner are our two initial targets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed browing but I wish I had more time. I can see myself using this tool in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could see using google Doce, Brain Bop, English, Book Report to have students do a book report on setting, character, plot, theme on a book they have been reading in READ 180. This would be a good end of semester project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see where you could use Today's meet on the active board to review students on previous day's learning.
    http://todaysmeet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today's Meet looks fabulous. It looks like the students can just join and then we can all start talking to each other. This seems wonderful. Of course, there would be a few that would write inappropriate comments. But I think the good would outweigh the bad. We could comment on conjugations, culture, weather the class was good or boring. The possibilities are endless. I really like this

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lot of useful points are there. Its really keeps me updated.
    SEO tools

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see how I can use Google Docs/Brain Pop/ English/ Book Report to get the students to write an end of the semester on a book they have read that semester.
    Here is a sample of how I would set up a book report project using 'Brain Pop'.


    Name _____________________________
    Date ______________________________


    Fall Semester Book Report


    1) Choose a book you have read this semester to do a book report on.
    Title :_________________________________________________


    2) Click on the following link to ‘Brain Pop’
    http://www.brainpop.com/


    3) When the ‘Brain Pop’ site pops up, click on English. Click on the ‘Writing’ box.


    4) Then click on the book report link.


    5) ‘Choose Click here to watch the movie’ and see how to write a good book report.


    6) After movie scroll down and choose ‘activities.’


    7) Choose “graphic organizer.


    8) Fill in graphic organizer.


    9) Print graphic organizer.
    Here is the web site;
    http://www.brainpop.com/


    I can see where you could use Today's meet on the active board to review students on previous day's learning. Here is a sample of how I set up a class. I put it there for a year so hopefully it will not dissapear. In a classroom setting, I would only put it up for 2 hours max.
    http://todaysmeet.com/mscokersclass

    Here is the web site:
    http://todaysmeet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found this tool very good an useful.I enjoyed doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Time is of essence for all educators, but any new learning, such as the 11 tools require time to practice and to provide for trial and error as well... I would like to have the opportunity to practice these tools with m students.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent pieces. Keep posting such kind of information on your blog. I really impressed by your blog.
    Vee Eee Technologies

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have no words for this great post such a awe-some information i got gathered. Thanks to Author.
    Vee Eee Technologies

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent pieces. Keep posting such kind of information on your blog. I really impressed by your blog.
    SEO tools

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent pieces. Keep posting such kind of information on your blog. I really impressed by your blog.
    SEO tools

    ReplyDelete
  18. This will be so helpful with out incoming 6th grader meetings. Getting the kids involved and asking the questions, concerns, and worries will be so helpful. The other great part is that it will show them that others are thinking and wondering about the same things in the move from elementary to middle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can imagine my Students posting what I call cyber stickies on the wallwisher. I'm sure they will love this tool. I would like to integrate it with a interactive reading lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I posted a tweet with a music link that my students may be interested in. I created a follow button on my blog where students can connect on my twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I posted a tweet with a music link that my students may be interested in. I created a follow button on my blog where students could connect to my twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also created a diigo account and I added information on scales to my library. Then I tweeted a link to my library and found the information through my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also created a diigo account and added information on scales to my library. Then I tweeted a link to my library and found the information through my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I used Voicethread and Wallwisher. I would like to use voicethread to catch the students attention and get them to start thinking about topics we will cover in class. I also like it because they can record a comment if they are unable to type out a complete thought. I also like wallwisher and feel that I could use it as a tool to get students thinking about new ideas and maybe expanding on their own ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  25. TOOL 6 Complete:
    I have already shared docs using Google.docs and created a blog for the GT Book Study this past summer which takes care of Tool 6. The tenth grade team has created a few Poll Everywhere questions as an anticipatory set for class novels and unit themed plans. It is a great reference point and gets the students excited about what they will learn.

    ReplyDelete
  26. great info. i created a diigo account and set up some pages for a class project on french cartoonist jean giraud. i also started a wall on wallwisher to get ideas from students on the final project. all these websites are wonderful tools to use in class i think. the possibilities are almost endless.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can really see Voxopop being a good tool to be used for book reviews. I love Wallwisher! Wallwisher would be a good tool to for word study. I would like to practice with both in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have a personal Twitter account and could create another for my classroom . That could be set up to keep in contact with parents. I have used google docs to make forms for my classroom I have created one for a welcome to Pre-Kinder news letter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can't wait to use edmodo / twitter for my class! Great tools that the students understand how to use and probably use for their personal life. Can't wait to share info on twitter and see how my students respond to various articles/ comments.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can use Edmodo to communicate with parents, collegues, and students about the classroom or work in the classroom. Google Docs is excellent for sharing of work and documents.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loving Edmodo and Wallwisher. I can use Edmodo to set up assignments or just have general communication with students and parents. I can embed a URL from Wallwisher into Edmodo and have students answer a background knowledge question (just did one about matter) and also it's a great way to assess when finished with the lesson. I think the kids will love these!

    ReplyDelete