Tuesday

Tool #3: Finding Online Video and Image Resources

     ...Enhancing and Extending your Lessons with Digital Video and Images

Finding Videos
In this age of digital media, online streaming media sites have become important resources to create engaging lessons in the classroom. Using the web and its resources such as YouTube, TeacherTube, SchoolTube and KidsTube, you can find videos and video segments to include in your flipchart curriculum or download to mobile devices for student consumption in your small group stations/centers. Gone are the days of cassette listening centers!

In addition to streaming video resources mentioned above, traditional news services such as CNN, MSNBC, ABCNews, Fox News , NPR and USAToday along with other educational and institutional sites provide current events, science, social studies and other educationally appropriate video resources. 

Streaming media creates a lot of traffic on the network. For that reason, many streaming resources have now been blocked within SBISD. (Hulu, Pandora, YouTube (for students), etc.) Sometimes, you as the teacher may need to find, convert and store essential videos on the district media server for your students to have access. While not allowing the same experience for the students, it still provides them access to the content.

Sharing Videos
Hotlinks are the easiest and quickest way to share a video. You can create a hotlink in a flipchart to a video to make access to that video easy and seamless during instruction. Watch how!

video
To share a YouTube video without having any distractions (ads or other videos that may be inappropriate) on the page, use a tool such as ViewPure and the video is displayed with either a black or a white background!

There may be times when you want to actually download the video - to sync it to another device, such as an iPad or iPod Touch or to edit it. 
  
 To download YouTube videos to your computer, use KeepVid or saveyoutubeThen, use Tube Chop or snip.snip.it to create smaller clips from a longer video. Either one of these will work to share the video on your computer (teacher logged in). If you want to post a YouTube video on a blog or website for your students to login and view, you will need to convert it (to strip out all references to YouTube) and upload it to the SBISD Media Server since YouTube is blocked for students in the district.
Let's not forget still images... Using Images
Just as videos are plentiful on the Internet, images are even more so! In fact, many "videos" are actually still image slideshows set to music. Lots of individuals have shared their images on the Internet and allow other users to integrate and manipulate their images into their work. There are several resources available.


Copyright and Fair Use
Copyright and fair use laws are not always clear - especially when for educational use. Wesley Fryer in his book Playing with Media ( a great read) devotes an entire chapter to Copyright and Fair Use. As he states, 
"Attribution takes time, but it is an important part of what we do as ethical writers, researchers, and media communicators."


Resources:
How does the law apply to you? Find out here!
Eric Faden of Bucknell University created this video on the key concepts of fair use in the US.



The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education video will be helpful for explaining fair use to students and is available at www.mediaeducationlab.com.



Where to Find Images
The Flickr Creative Commons site and Picasa Web Albums through Google Apps make using photos a little easier, and maybe even more fun! Individuals have uploaded their personal photos and assigned a Creative Commons license to the photos. This should make fair use even easier! The folks that upload their photos add tags (or keywords) that describe what the photos represent. In looking for photos, you will use tags to find photos you want. Use the advanced search parameters when conducting searches in Google Images to find images that have been assigned for reuse in the Usage Rights filter. Take a look at this great tool (Thanks, Terri!) - Photopin.com.FreeFoto, Wylioand freedigitalphotos are just a few examples of sites where individuals upload their images and allow free non-commercial digital use as long as they are attributed. So, it is getting easier to locate images that can be used in an educational setting.

Dropbox is an online storage website where you can store 2 GB of files for free. As a classroom teacher, you could create a classroom account that you could sign into on all of your devices in the classroom. Then, you can students can collectively find and share images for projects there!



The netbooks and iPod Touches that are coming to your classrooms have the ability to take photographs (and videos). If you have one of these devices available to you, try taking a few pictures and then emailing them to yourself or downloading them to your teacher laptop. Think how easy it will be to take those student pictures at the beginning of the year and about having students use the devices to take pictures to support learning and then weaving those images into products that demonstrate learning/mastery!


For your Tool #3 Assignment:
  1. Visit several of the video hosting/streaming sites mentioned above. Share with your readers which sites you found most useful for your content and why.
  2. Using any of the video resources mentioned above, find and select two videos that may be useful resources in your classroom. Video on how to embed directly into blog post below.

     

    If
    they do not have embed capabilities, hot link them to your blog.
  3. Articulate what you learned about copyright and fair use. What was new to you?
  4. Create a Dropbox account and add some files to it  How could you use this tool in your classroom?

47 comments:

  1. I enjoyed You Tube and Teacher Tube. School Tube and Teacher Tube, others found easiest to post to our site; but I had trouble with them.I tried 8 times to add a video and so did our instructor, but it would not load. I really didn't learn anything more about copyright laws. The Picasa Web Album could be used in the classroom for instructional purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to post a YouTube video on a blog or website for your students to login and view, you will need to convert it (to strip out all references to YouTube) and upload it to the SBISD Media Server since YouTube is blocked for students in the district.

    What do you mean by SBISD Media Server?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this experience tool is awesome I like it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using Discovery Education video clips in many of my lessons and they are very useful in the classroom. It is important to download the video clip beforehand and not search for it while teaching the lesson; some of the clips take a while to download.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Tulia.
    I have spent many a day in trying to pull up a video I wanted to use and not been able to find it in what I refer to as a "timely manner".

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was alot to learn from this tool, but it took a long time to get through all the information. Even after all the time I spent on this today, I still do not clearly understand how to embed a video from you tube.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was able to embed a video and an image from Google, but found School Tube and KidTube frustrating to navigate. The content was not as quality as I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had difficulty viewing the video about copyright. I think using common sense is key. I probably need to learn more specifics. As Rojana said, it took a long time to get through all the information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find that all of the mentioned "tube" sites have value. As I reviewed these sites it made me thing of using the CCP approach to help our student become better produce of this media. All of these sites had good and bad examples of videos, If we could let them consume the good and bad then perhaps they could build a criteria to critique what makes a good one and what makes a bad one. This process would help the students become better produces of content project videos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been supporting my NEws 2 you current weekly newspaper with Discovery Ed vids for last few years. I have also found many visual resources for science and vocational assignments. I like Blink, it will help stop me from spending way to much time surfing through the web an ending up not finding what I want or distracted by something else:) IThe copy right video updated my knowledge. I knew I could use information but was always worried (from childhood teacher threats) that I better be very careful when using other people resources. Knowing that I can use relevant web information in a educational professional capacity makes me less stressed and opens sites:) I love Piscasa pics:0 I have to use alot of pic icons for the different reading levles in my class:) Sometimes Boardmaker just doesnt have a good visual. I am able to find a great pic and save it or load it onto Boardmaker for future use:) The variety offered helps my students connect the vocabulary world to a picture in the daily life:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Rojana...it is a lot to learn but it can be very helpful for visual learners to enhance the the lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel that in the past few years, I've had a crash course in the realities of "fair use" and copyright issues. Before having so much technology it wasn't really an issue -- students plagiarized by copying longhand directly from the encyclopedia. Easy to see; a black-and-white, right-and-wrong issue. Image and video copyright has nuances that we never dreamed of before the age of the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The video.PBS site is a valuable resource for AP Language students. I plan to have my students explore this in December. I was surprised at the instructional time gained by using an embedded video as opposed to hunting through YouTube. I plan to embed all eight sections of Antigone in a flip chart to make the viewing smoother. Picassa pics are great for teaching mood and tone. I am hesitant to post copyrighted materials to our intranet--it seems questionable to me even if it is considered fair use.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are getting ipads for our classrooms. That is great. I love my ipad and I use it every day at home. I cannot use it at school because 1. there are no air printers on our server, 2. I use activexpressions and they are not compatable, and 3. most educational videos are flash. To bad I cannot complete tool # 3 on my ipad because all of the videos are flash. Compatability??? Anyone???

    ReplyDelete
  15. The drop box will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like everything in one place-organized

    ReplyDelete
  17. Got help today. Figured out to embed a video to blog and put photos in dropbox.
    Thanks Lucy. Couldn't have done it without you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Videos will be a great resource for my Spanish students

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dropbox is going to be my savior. I am so guilty of stashing files in different locations, and then I can't find them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just discovered the Blinkx video and will use this with my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Drop Box will simplify file keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really liked school tube. All of the videos have students in them. I think that it is a good thing for kids to be able to see other kids doing things. I also liked how Blinkx allows you to look at several different sites at one time to search for videos. For the copyright and fair use video I learned that as long and the price for the use of material is less than the cost of the copy right it is ok to use the material. I also learned that you can use material as long as you are not using it to make a profit. The fair use law is something that is new to me when it comes to using videos and pictures. I was able to create a dropbox account and I think it will be good for me to use and share with my class when we start to look at different countries and other things that we will study this year. It's a good resouce to keep all kinds of information.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I visited Teacher Tube, School Tube and www.blinkx.com and found several videos I can use in my French class in support of the curriculum. I'm already using You Tube, but had not yet tried the other ones. I found Teacher Tube, the most useful one because it's easier to search and most of the videos have the embed code to put on a blog.

    Regarding copyright and fair use, I think the most important point is to teach your students about this so they know what is and what is not allowed. REPURPOSE came up a lot in the song.

    I created a Dropbox and it's a good tool to have to store information that you want to have available quickly and regardless of location. I would use it as an extra storage place since now I already have everything I need on the server of the school district.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the kind of 'catch all' function of the Drop box.

    ReplyDelete
  25. About copyright, I was pretty much familiar with the concept, the only thing that was new to me was the amount fact. The drop box feature is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Re: video streaming sites: YouTube is always a good choice; I use relevant aspects each year, especially when illustrating how poetry and music are practically one-and-the-same; "Discovery Education" is also an excellent source. I recommend the "Globe Trekker" series, especially to geograhy, history, and foreign language teachers--much good relevant cultural info here.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great ideas. I discovered some additional instructional/educational videos for the classroom on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  28. I added a video from a website that is very useful for 3-5 grade teachers. The website is called studyjams.com It has very interesting and easy to watch videos about math and science topics.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really liked School Tube and Blinkx. Blinkx was a new one for me. I have used Discovery Education and always love the videos found there. The information about the copyright and fair use was a good refresher. Dropbox will be an excellent tool to keep files organized!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've had a dropbox for years. I use to store resources I uses often that way no matter where I am I have quick access to it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You can get anyconverter from the district. Log in to KACE - like submitting a trouble ticket at 251Tech - download and install the converter and convert to another format.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I use hippocampus.org and embed the videos in my online classes. They are excellent teaching tools. I also use khanacademy.org using hot links for problem solving help. I do edit Discovery Learning videos using Adobe Premier to make short segments even shorter.

    I do know that I may use a short segment of a commercial video as long as I don't charge my users for the video, ie not for profit.

    I have 7 accounts with Box.com of 50 GB each. I got in when they first started! I also have several dropbox accounts. My school dropbox is 4.75 GB. I recently used one of my Box accounts to share one of my online courses with the tech people at Moodlerooms as I was having a problem with converting that class from Angel to Moodle. They were able to figure out a work around for me on it. Another use was I had to transfer all the documents off my wife's computer so I could reformat it. The USB ports were unusable as when I tried to have it recognize my portable drives, I'd get the "blue screen of death" every time. It was a long process, but my wife is now happy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Why haven't I known about Dropbox earlier. Great tool for trips!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I enjoyed publishing videos to my blog . I feel like my students can look at the videos and get a general idea of how they can use music in the classroom. I think most of copyright law is using common sense. Of course there are specifics with any technical issue such as copyright law. I really like the teacher tube site. This was really cool to see !

    ReplyDelete
  35. The drop box looks like another version of google docs which you can access form any computer as well ....

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am so happy to have drop box now because I have downloaded videos in the past to my desktop and they might be there or not when I was ready to use them. If I saved the URL it would be unstable also. If I learn nothing else from all this tech stuff, drop box makes it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow. I had never heard of the Dropbox but I think it is wonderful to keep everything organized rather that in so many different places.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Video hosting sites I found useful:

    1 - Discovery
    http://www.discoveryeducation.com/search/page/9-12/science/-/-/index.cfm?campaign=flyout_teachers_912_science
    ^^awesome science content videos from the best cable network devoted to science! videos are interesting and include lesson plans...I see this being very useful

    2 - NPR
    http://www.npr.org/
    ^^great way to find videos that make the content relevant in all realms (political, environmental, health, etc.)

    Regarding copyright, I had no idea dances could be copyrighted! But seriously, the videos were extremely helpful -- a lot I did not know about fair use before, especially growing up in an age where we share everything on multimedia and different social medias.

    As far as dropbox goes, I've had an account for several years...using it from everything to storing pictures, assignments, extracurricular information, forms, etc. Great way to not only access files from every computer but also share documents with other people (have gotten some resources that way already).

    ReplyDelete
  39. The video was a little difficult to understand with the cutting of the scenes together, but it made a good point.

    I visited Teachertube and Youtube. I have used Youtube in the past as an educational aide.

    As for Dropbox, I tried it before with school and it didn't work well for me. I am a bit more fond of Google Docs or a flashdrive.

    ReplyDelete
  40. There are so many videos that can be used in the classroom to aid in learning. It was not difficult to bring these into the blog. I had heard of the copyright and fair use laws, but the video explanations helped clarify the concept.

    The dropbox will be a nice addition because it will not matter which computer I am on when I come across a resource to use in the classroom. I will be able to save it to the dropbox and access it from the school computer.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I really like this now that I have had some time to think about how best to use this other than general information. My Robotics Club needs a way to locate the videos, rules, and other information in a fun way that is easy to read. I will be using this as my main way to make sure my kids can get this information. After mastering this for the robotics club I may move on to creating other blogs for other subjects. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I want to say that I really like Dropbox. I have been using Google Apps to store documents and pics. I have found over the last year that this has gotten hard because of the cold war between Google, Apple, Microsoft and Samsung. In addition, I also have an iPad, iPhone, Fire HD, Dell PC, and a Apple Mini. Not to mention my Father-in-law's Desktop PC running Windows 7. I have found myself in different places trying to access my files using different devices with more problem.s Dropbox has worked perfect every time so far. I liked it so much I loaded to my personal computer at home. I have seen a few of these programs before but never took the time to really try it. I am glad I was shown this (Als0 Diigolett) Thank you. As far as the copyright stuff I teach allot of this to my Intro to Web students so no real new info there but still good stuff. Thanks

    ReplyDelete